Give your pancakes the Veloforte treatment
You know that we love food here at Veloforte — that’s why we’re the only active fuel to win multiple Great Taste Awards, and why we only ever use real food ingredients.So with Pancake Day on the horizon, we’ve given pancakes a couple of delicious Veloforte twists. Get the recipes for our sweet and salty Avanti stacks, our deliciously savoury Primo parcels (with a vegan adaptation) and protein rich Cappo pancakes.
The Avanti Stack
Based on the exquisite flavours of our Avanti bar, this fluffy stack of American-style pancakes is paired with smashed medjool dates, oven toasted pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon and sea salt.
First up, you’ll need some fluffy pancakes.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add milk and vanilla extract then whisk until smooth.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add a little oil and rub around the pan with a brush or kitchen roll.
- Add a small ladleful of batter (about two tablespoons) to each side of the pan to make two pancakes about 10cm in diameter.
- Cook for about a minute until you see bubbles on the surface. Carefully flip over and cook for a minute on the other side.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Avanti stack recipe
- Toast the pecans on a baking tray at 170°C/150°C fan for 10 mins.
- Leave to cool and crumble pecans by hand.
- Rip open dates and remove the pips. Roughly chop and squash with the back of the knife to make a rough paste. Add half the maple syrup, half the cinnamon and a small pinch of sea salt. Mix well.
- Make your stack: alternate pancakes with date paste and crumbled pecans.
- Drizzle with maple syrup. Sprinkle over the rest of the cinnamon and a pinch of sea salt.
Our original beetroot and lemon energy gel raised some eyebrows — until people tasted how good it was. Here we’ve incorporated it into some uniquely moreish zingy, savoury pancakes.
You’ll need some crêpe-style pancakes for this.
Thin pancakes — vegan mix
*Substitute gluten free flour for a gluten free version
- Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add in your milk (and beaten eggs if using). Whisk in well
- Add in the melted butter or oil
- Set aside for 30 minutes
- Heat a teaspoon or so of butter or oil in a medium non-stick frying pan until hot
- Add a ladle (2-3 tablespoons) of batter for each pancake, swirling it around the pan
- Cook each pancake for 3-4 minutes until the edges begin to curl upwards. Flip it over for a final minute on the other side
- Layer the cooked pancakes with non-stick baking paper
Make a start on the filling while your pancake batter is resting.
- Remove stalks and chunk the beetroot into 2cm pieces — no need to peel
- Coat in the balsamic, oil, the zest of the lemon and a generous amount of pepper
- Roast on a baking tray in an oven 200°C/180°C fan for 45 mins until tender
- Squeeze the juice of half the lemon over the roasted beetroots and allow to cool slightly.
- Make the pancakes
- Cut a line from the edge into the centre of a pancake (like you are marking a radius)
- Imagining your pancake as four quarters, load a pile of crumbled feta on the first quarter, then beetroot on the second, then crumbled feta, and repeat until all are filled.
- Roughly tear a bunch of basil & scatter over the fillings
- Starting at the cut part, fold one quarter over the next to make a loaded triangle parcel.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze, cracked black pepper & torn fresh basil to serve
- You could even drizzle over a Primo gel for an extra beetroot hit
Cappo Protein Power Pancakes
Based on our delicious anytime protein shake, Cappo, try an amazing recovery pancake, ready for your post session muscle healing!
Use one of the above pancake batter recipes or your chosen method and simply add 1 sachet of Cappo Protein (or 1-2 scoops if you're using a 10-serve pouch) for every 150ml of batter and whisk into the mix. Simply cook exactly as per your usual method in either small & thick american style or thin and crispy crepe style.
Recovery the right way with a Cappo pancake!